E51: How to Identify Bro Marketing and Find Success Without Resorting to Predatory Tactics
When it comes to breaking up with Bro Marketing, identifying it is the first step.
How do you know if you’ve been using Bro Marketing tactics? It’s simple: if you’ve ever felt manipulative when trying to make a sale, you’ve participated in Bro Marketing.
Bro Marketing is like a bad relationship. It makes a lot of promises and even seems to deliver on them – for a while. But its tactics leave us feeling like dirt, shamed into thinking we aren’t trying hard enough.
Ultimately, Bro Marketing is not sustainable. But how do we escape?
In Season 5 of Small Stage, Big Impact, we are going to give you the tools you need to break up with Bro Marketing for good.
Last season, we talked a lot about #DoBetterDigital. Digital marketers have shaped the world, and we have a responsibility to fix the damage we’ve done. If we can make the mess, we can clean it up.
How? With Bro Marketing’s better looking, harder working, more empathetic alternative: values-driven marketing.
Unlike Bro Marketing, values-driven marketing leads to sustainable success. Also unlike Bro Marketing, values-driven marketing requires hard work and sacrifice.
Is it worth it? With over a decade of experience backing me up, I can answer confidently: Yes!
I’m not offering a quick-fix solution. Values-driven marketing is not a prescription – it’s a practice. But with each episode, I’ll share with you proven practices that will lead to the type of success you can be proud of.
You may find that you’ve already been incorporating the values-driven mentality in your marketing practices. To help you determine where you are on your values-driven marketing journey, we’ve created a downloadable quiz. Use it to take notes, do some journaling, or help you focus on where you want to go.
And if it turns out you’re more entrenched in Bro Marketing than you thought you were, don’t worry. As Dr. Maya Angelou so famously said,
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when
you know better, do better.”
Are you ready to know how to #DoBetterDigital and make an impact you can be proud of?
Listen to episode 51 now!
In episode 51 of Small Stage, Big Impact we discuss:
- [5:15] How marketers really do have the power (and responsibility) to shape the world
- [13:26] The lesson we can learn from Facebook about the impact we have as marketers
- [16:00] One of Renia’s few hard rules for values-driven marketing and why it’s so important
- [17:47] The difference between sales and marketing and why it matters
- [19:22] What you can expect to learn during Season 5 of SSBI
- [21:58] Renia’s personal story and how she knows values-driven marketing is worth the work
- [31:12] How to get the most from this journey to learn how to #DoBetterDigital
- [35:30] How to know where you are on your values-driven marketing journey
- [43:26] What is Bro Marketing?
Resources mentioned by Renia in the episode:
- Download this checklist to evaluate your business.
- Learn more about Dear Grown Ass Women.
- Leave a review on iTunes.
- Connect with Renia on LinkedIn.
- Email Renia with questions or feedback.
- Don’t miss an episode of season 5 of Small Stage, Big Impact.
Sometimes our show notes contain affiliate links. We only recommend books, products, or services we feel great about and believe will support you in your work. These small commissions help pay for the production of our show each week. We do not accept show sponsorships or host guests in exchange for compensation of any kind. Thank you for supporting us by using our links to purchase when we’ve recommended something that piques your interest.
Share your thoughts… I’d love to hear from you!
Help Us Spread the Message to Others
Did you love this podcast? Leave an honest review over on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews help spread the word and mean the world to me.
Small Stage, Big Impact is hosted by Renia Carsillo (that’s me!). I am hardcore passionate and committed to bringing the systems and strategies that give big brands an unfair advantage to local businesses. For that reason, I created the Local Rock Star Intensive, where I help local business owners use their small stage to have a BIG impact. Thank you for being here and reading this far!
Also Available on YouTube With Custom Captions for Non-Hearing